05 Dec The Castle Club
The Castle Club
32,000 sq ft
BNP / Cushman & Wakefield
Architects Frederick John and Horace Francis were brothers who practiced together from an office in Upper Bedford Place, Russell Square, London. The Francis brothers were relatively prolific architects of the time, particularly noted for their churches and use of the Italianate and late-Gothic styles.
Originally called The Elizabethan School, The Castle Club was built in 1854 as a school for local children. It later became a hospital for children with TB, and has remained in use as either a school or youth club since.
Thackeray Group purchased the Castle Club in 2016 with the view of regenerating and repurposing this heritage site into a beneficial use for the community.
The Grade II listed building had been vacant and derelict since 2016. In 2019, Thackeray Group was granted planning consent for a 33-bed state of the art care home.
Knowles Construction were appointed as principal contractor, with the scope of works consisting of basement excavation, superstructure, construction and building envelope works.
The existing heritage and fabric was retained and enhanced, while modernisation and an extension to the rear regenerated the site. The building was sold to health care provider KYN for £20m in January 2023.